Biodegradable Coffins by Design…
Here is why our biodegradable coffins are so natural:
Our wicker coffins are designed in such a way that they are completely biodegradable, with no chemical, adhesives or harsh treatments used during the coffin weaving process.
Using natural Hazel and Sisal Rope (which are both natural and biodegradable) for the fixtures and fittings, our biodegradable coffins are a truly environmentally friendly choice.
Find out more about our biodegradable wicker coffins and the sustainably sourced natural English Heritage Willow used to make our coffins below…
Our Unique & Eco Friendly Natural Willow Coffin
- Made from natural Green Willow
- Scent of the Willow wood still present
- Willow species: Black Maul and Flaunders Red
- Load bearing sisal rope handles
- Locally coppiced Hazel clasps
- Fully fitted eco friendly liner
- Stock sizes or custom made to order
Natural & Ecological
What makes Sussex Willow Coffins the natural choice?
- The making of these caskets will support English Willow growing and habitat creation for wild animals and insects. We are always seeking to convert more land in the UK, to willow coppice (the way willow is grown for weaving) and sustainable willow cultivation in the future.
- We include lots of untreated natural willow within our wicker coffin designs, which has the bark on as opposed to being boiled or stripped. As well as looking great, this willow has the lowest embodied energy of all the craft willows, due to no mechanical stripping or boiling being required.
- Our wicker willow coffins produce a clean, chemical-free vapour during the cremation process, made almost entirely out of woven willow, unlike some common counterparts which include veneered chipboard in the design.
- Suitable for natural burials, traditional funerals, woodland burials and cremation alike, our biodegradable coffins and the ethical choice. Designed and crafted to be entirely biodegradable, ethical and sustainable.
We’re planting willow
Providing sustainable heritage willow for the future
Sussex Willow Coffins grow our own supply of sustainable willow from English Heritage Willow Varieties.
We are continually expanding our willow growing plots in Sussex and the surrounding area.
Creating a stable and sustainable supply of English Willow is vital for the future of wicker weaving in the UK.
BIODEGRADABLE COFFINS – STYLES – DELIVERY – CUSTOMISING
Our favourite biodegradable coffin styles – chosen for their beauty and green credentials, over time we have refined these wicker coffin designs to produce completely sustainable and biodegradable coffins.
More about our coffin design
Natural, ethical, biodegradable and handmade in the UK
We use the long horse shoe shape for all our biodegradable wicker coffin designs, because we believe that the beauty of a good willow coffin is to recognise the natural shape of the body and character of the deceased.
To find out more about our biodegradable coffin designs, how to order and how to contact us follow the links below, or use the navigation menu at the top of the page.